The villages of Columbia hold annual elections every April. This year Election Day is April 29. In December 2016, Yolanda Epps was appointed by the Village Board as the 2017 Village Election Chair.
There are five available seats on the Wilde Lake Village Board and one position as the Wilde Lake representative to the CA Board of Directors (Columbia Council).
The term of office for the Wilde Lake Village Board and Columbia Council Rep is one year. Candidate packets including a nomination petition will be available at Slayton House and on this website beginning February 22. The deadline to submit a petition is March 15.
All Wilde Lake residents will receive an absentee ballot package in the mail around April 1. Included in the package are an absentee ballot, candidate statements and a prepaid envelope to return your ballot. NOTE: If the number of candidates for Village Board is equal or less than 5 and there is only one candidate for the Columbia Council, there will not be an election on April 29 and no absentee ballots will be mailed out.
Who Can Vote?
Members in good standing as of March 1, 2017 are eligible to vote. Members are defined in the Bylaws as owners and tenants. Where property is jointly owned, one vote is permitted. Where property is rented, one owner vote and one tenant vote are permitted. (Covenants 3.02 A & B; and Articles of Incorporation, Sixth Article of Incorporation, Paragraph A & B)
When and Where to Vote
If you choose to vote in person on Election Day, look for the green and white flag at the entrance to Slayton House. Check in at Slayton House between 9am and 3pm on April 29.
What to Bring to Verify Residence
You must show a valid driver’s license, a photo I.D. or utility bill with your name and current address.
If you choose not to vote in person, complete the ballot enclosed in the absentee ballot package and return in the envelope provided. Absentee ballots are valid only if completely filled out, including all identifying information on the envelope. This information will be kept separate from the actual ballot to insure privacy. Absentee ballots are due April 28 at 5pm. The absentee ballot cannot be used on Election Day.
VILLAGE ELECTIONS 2017
- February 22, 2017 Nomination Period Begins
- March 1, 2017 List of eligible voters posted
- March 15, 2017 Nomination period ends. Nominating petitions due. Candidates’ statements due
- March 16, 2017 Verification of nomination petitions. Order on ballot by random drawing
- March 30, 2017 Absentee ballots available at Slayton House
- March 31, 2017 Mail Absentee ballots
- April 4, 2017 Candidates’ Reception: 6:00pm – Meet the candidates for the Village Board and Columbia Council Representative. (If more than 5 for Village Board and/or more than 1 for CCR). Otherwise, there will a reception on April 3, 2017 at 6pm before the regular Village Board meeting.
- April 13, 2017 Statements published in newsletter in Columbia Flier
- April 28, 2017 Absentee ballots due before the end of business day
- April 29, 2017 ELECTION DAY 9:00AM – 3:00PM