For all rental inquiries, please submit the inquiry form and we will follow up with you regarding availability.
Below some of the most frequently asked questions about renting our spaces are answered. If you have further questions about renting Slayton House for your performance, meeting or event, please email [email protected] or call 410-730-3987.
Cancellation policies vary depending on the type of event, for example, a stage performance versus a party rental. The Facility Manager can provide exact information.
Unless requested, specified in the contract, and paid for in advance, there is no exclusive use of the building. A member of the Slayton House staff will be present during the event. Use of any outdoor space must be approved by the Columbia Association.
No, insurance is your responsibility. All caterers must provide a Certificate of Insurance naming Wilde Lake Community Association and Columbia Association as Additional Insured and must include $2 million aggregate/$1 million per occurrence/$5,000 medical expenses.
All lessees, performance rentals, class instructors, weekend social events and events at which alcohol will be served must provide a Certificate of Insurance naming Wilde Lake Community Association and Columbia Association as Additional Insured in the amounts listed above.
Insurance may be provided through homeowners/renters policies or from online event insurance providers. See the event insurance page for more detail.
Tables and upholstered chairs are included with your rental and your room will be configured to your request. You or your caterer must provide tablecloths. Six and eight-foot rectangular tables and four and five foot round tables are available.
All room decorations attached to walls or fixtures must be approved in advance. Helium balloons are not permitted in the theater. Candles inside a glass container, such as votives or a hurricane globes, may be used. Decorating time must be included in your contract, although with the approval of the Facility Manager, decorations or refreshments may be delivered before the event.
Commercial microwave, refrigerator, warming oven, ice machine and three-tub sink.
If you plan on selling alcoholic beverages, a liquor license is required. The Howard County Liquor Board will issue such licenses to non-profit organizations. If you are serving alcohol, no license is required.
General rental policies and conditions include, but are not limited to:
- Unless requested and specified in the contract, there is no exclusive use of the building.
- Security deposits must be paid in full at contract execution.
- Rental fees are due four weeks prior to the event
- A caterer’s liability insurance policy must be provided in the amount $2 million aggregate/$1 million per occurrence/$5,000 medical expenses listing the Wilde Lake Community Association (10400 Cross Fox Lane, Columbia, MD 21044) and Columbia Association (6310 Hillside Court, Columbia, MD 21046) as Additional Insured at least 4 weeks before the event.
- All lessees, performance rentals, class instructors, weekend social events, and events during which alcohol will be served must provide a Certificate of Insurance naming Wilde Lake Community Association and Columbia Association as Additional Insured in the amounts listed above at least 4 weeks prior to the event.
- Certificates of Insurance may be provided by homeowners/renters insurance or by an online event insurance provider. Please see the event insurance page for more details.
- All room decorations affixed to walls or fixtures must be approved in advance.
- All decorations, food and beverages, supplies, and equipment must be removed before you leave the building unless previously approved by the Facility Manager.
- A liquor license is required if you are selling alcoholic beverages; these are only issued to non-profit organizations by the Howard County Liquor Board.
- A security deposit is required to hold a room, date, and time.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event of cancellation before the balance of the room fee is due (four weeks before the event) 50% of the room deposits will be forfeited. Cancellation within four weeks of the event will result in full forfeiture of the rental fee.
Theatre or Performance Rentals FAQs
Use of the Theater, Lobby, Stage, Green Room, Kitchen and Dressing Rooms. Use of the Set Construction Room will be determined on an individual basis.
Sets must be removed at the end of your contracted time. If storage is needed, arrangements must be made with the Facility Manager prior to your event. Set pieces, props, costumes, etc. left after your contracted time will be disposed of and you will be charged accordingly.
With the approval of the Facility Manager and Technical Director, they may be left in the dressing rooms and/or set construction room during the run of your performance.
Yes, but no alcoholic beverages unless you are a non-profit with a liquor license. Refreshments may not be taken into the theater when the tiered seating is in place.
Use of baby grand piano – $54/performance.
Use of the Marley floor – $158/performance and/or rehearsal.
You may contract independently with our Technical Director or use your own technical staff with the approval of our Technical Director.