Rental FAQs

Due to evolving health and safety regulations from the State of Maryland and local government officials surrounding COVID-19, space occupancy is ever-changing.  To confirm maximum occupancy, please send an email to

Below some of the most frequently asked questions about renting our spaces are answered.  If you have further questions about renting Slayton House for your performance, meeting or event, please call 410/730-3987 or email

General FAQs

  • When do I need to pay?

    A security deposit is required to hold a room, date, and time. The Facility Manager will specify the rate of the security deposit, which depends on the type of event. The deposit must be paid in full at contract signing. A room can be held for a week on a “right of first refusal” basis. Rental fees are due four weeks prior to the event. If payment is not made on due date and unless arrangements have been made through the Facility Manager, the event is considered canceled and the security deposit is retained.

  • What happens if I need to cancel?

    Cancellation policies vary depending on the type of event, for example, a stage performance versus a party rental. The Facility Manager can provide exact information.

  • Do I have the entire building?

    Unless requested, specified in the contract, and paid for in advance, there is no exclusive use of the building. A member of the Slayton House staff will be present during the event. Use of any outdoor space must be approved by the Columbia Association.

  • Do you provide insurance?

    No, insurance is your responsibility. All caterers must provide a Certificate of Insurance naming Wilde Lake Community Association and Columbia Association as Additional Insured and must include $2 million aggregate/$1 million per occurrence/$5,000 medical expenses.

    All lessees, performance rentals, class instructors, weekend social events and events at which alcohol will be served must provide a Certificate of Insurance naming Wilde Lake Community Association and Columbia Association as Additional Insured in the amounts listed above.

    Insurance may be provided through homeowners/renters policies or from online event insurance providers.  See the event insurance page for more detail.

  • What furnishings are provided with my contract?

    Tables and upholstered chairs are included with your rental and your room will be configured to your request. You or your caterer must provide tablecloths. Six and eight-foot rectangular tables and four and five foot round tables are available.

  • May I bring decorations?

    All room decorations attached to walls or fixtures must be approved in advance. Helium balloons are not permitted in the theater. Candles inside a glass container, such as votives or a hurricane globes, may be used. Decorating time must be included in your contract, although with the approval of the Facility Manager, decorations or refreshments may be delivered before the event.

  • What is available in the Kitchen?

    Commercial microwave, refrigerator, warming oven, ice machine and three-tub sink.

  • How about serving alcohol?

    If you plan on selling alcoholic beverages, a liquor license is required. The Howard County Liquor Board will issue such licenses to non-profit organizations. If you are serving alcohol, no license is required.

Theatre or Performance Rentals FAQs

  • What space is included in a performance rental?

    Use of the Theater, Lobby, Stage, Green Room, Kitchen and Dressing Rooms. Use of the Set Construction Room will be determined on an individual basis.

  • When do sets have to be removed?

    Sets must be removed at the end of your contracted time.  If storage is needed, arrangements must be made with the Facility Manager prior to your event.  Set pieces, props, costumes, etc. left after your contracted time will be disposed of and you will be charged accordingly.

  • What about costumes and props?

    With the approval of the Facility Manager and Technical Director, they may be left in the dressing rooms and/or set construction room during the run of your performance.

  • Can I serve refreshments during intermission?

    Yes, but no alcoholic beverages unless you are a non-profit with a liquor license. Refreshments may not be taken into the theater when the tiered seating is in place.

  • Any other charges?

    Use of baby grand piano – $54/performance.

    Use of the Marley floor – $158/performance and/or rehearsal.

  • How about technical support?

    You may contract independently with our Technical Director or use your own technical staff with the approval of our Technical Director.

Business Rental FAQs

  • Can meals be served?

    Yes, but the caterer must provide a copy of their liability insurance policy.

  • Can rooms be set up to meet different needs?

    Yes, theater style or classroom style with round or rectangular tables.