Tree FAQs

It’s been a hard winter on Wilde Lake’s trees!  Recent icing has caused many branches to fall.  Residents are looking at their trees – and their neighbors trees – with concern.  Our office has been getting lots of questions about trees:

  • Do I need permission to remove a tree?

    Yes, the Wilde Lake Covenants require residents to obtain permission from Columbia Association before removing a tree with a trunk diameter greater than six inches, even dead trees. Click here to access the request form.

  • If my neighbor's tree falls on my property, who is responsible for clean-up and repairing damages?

    It is the responsibility of the homeowner on whose property the tree lands, not on whose property the tree stands.  Generally, in Maryland, the cost of removing the tree and repairing any property damage falls to the owner of the property that sustained the damage.

  • My neighbor's tree is overhanging my property. Can I trim the branches?

    Yes, you have the right to trim neighboring trees or bushes that overhang your property line, or remove roots growing into your property boundary, so long as the bush or tree is not harmed.

  • What should I do if I am concerned that a neighbor's tree will fall on my property?

    Tree issues are most effectively dealt with between neighbors.  A prudent step is to send your neighbor a certified letter informing him or her of your concerns.  While this might be the step that encourages your neighbor to remove the tree, it also puts your neighbor on notice that you had prior concerns about the safety of the tree.  If a problem occurs, your insurance company may be able to use that information while settling a possible claim.

  • Can the Wilde Lake Covenant Advisor assess the condition of a tree?

    No, only a certified arborist can determine the health of a tree. However, in some instances, depending on the season, the Covenant Advisor is able to make a reasonable determination about whether a tree is dead.