CALL TO ORDER
A regular meeting of the Wilde Lake Village Board was called to order by Kevin McAliley, Chair,on July 2, 2018 at 6:30pm at Slayton House, Columbia, Maryland. Members present were Kevin McAliley, Chair; Laura Torres, Vice Chair; Mary Calder, Stephen Mowatt; Nancy McCord, Columbia Council Rep (arrived at 6:55pm); and Carole Black, Board Secretary. Bess Caplan and Kristin Shulder, Village Manager were absent. Also present were PFC Brian Borowski, Community Resource Officer, Howard County Police Department, John and Ann Worly, Todd Pittman and Matt Rowe.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- Ms. Torres made a motion, seconded by Ms. Calder, to approve the agenda for July 2, 2018. All in favor.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Mr. Mowatt made a motion, seconded by Ms. Calder, to approve the minutes of June 4, 2018. All in favor.
SPECIAL GUEST: PFC Bryan, Borowski, Wilde Lake Community Resource Officer, Howard County Police Department
- PFC Borowski provided current crime statistics for Wilde Lake. He said most of his patrols are on bike or on foot rather than patrol cars. He encouraged the community to call the police with any concerns.
- Ann and John Worly informed the Board of a Bike Fun Day on Saturday, September 22 they are planning in coordination with the Wilde Lake Interfaith Center. They will use the Wilde Lake Interfaith Center parking lot. The goal is an outreach event to the community.
- Sean Rowe was concerned about a letter he received from Sean Harbaugh of CA Open Space, indicating the deck on his property was encroaching onto CA property. Ms. McCord said she would speak to Dennis Mattey regarding this concern.
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Request for Sponsorship – WLHS Boosters Club
- Todd Pittman, treasurer for the WLHS Boosters Club, explained that funds were need to support all clubs and sports at the school. They are asking for corporate sponsorships.
- Ms. Torres made a motion, seconded by Ms. Calder, to table this item until the next meeting for further discussion. All in favor.
Request for Operating Funds: Clean and Recoat Theatre and Dance Studio Floors
- Ms. Torres made a motion, seconded by Mr. Mowatt, to approve funds to clean and recoat the theatre and dance studio floors. All in favor.
Request for Donation: Re-Create EC Artists Relief Fund
- Ms. Torres made a motion, seconded by Ms. Calder, not to approve a donation for the EC Artists Relief Fund at this time. All in favor.
Discussion of Environmental Concerns
- There was a discussion of the use of balloons and excessive signage by vendors in the village center. Ms. McCord suggested a campaign to clean up Wilde Lake and perhaps organizing a committee to clean up the signs and be more environmentally conscious.
- Mr. Mowatt brought up a concern about neighbors having trees removed without applying.
Columbia Council Rep
- Ms. McCord reported that the CA Board was having Saturday meetings with speakers. The last meeting was on zoning. The HC Director of Planning and Zoning wants to rezone all of Howard County, including NT.
AC Liaison Report
- Ms. Calder will have a report at the next meeting.
Education: Ms. Calder will be meeting with Mr. McAliley and Jeff Friedhoffer to discuss goals for the committee.
Health and Wellness: Ms. Torres is working on an event on the opioid epidemic with speakers in mid September or October.
Chair: Mr. McAliley had an update on Howard Ecoworks. They are working with various Wilde Lake HOAs.
- Ms. McCord made a motion, seconded by Ms. Torres, to adjourn the meeting at 8:10pm. All in favor.