CALL TO ORDER
A regular meeting of the Wilde Lake Village Board was called to order by Kevin McAliley, Chair, on February 5, 2018 at 6:30pm at Slayton House, Columbia, Maryland. Members present were Kevin McAliley, Chair;; Bess Caplan; Wulah Cooper; Laura Torres; Nancy McCord, Columbia Council Rep (left at 7pm); Kristin Shulder, Village Manager, and Carole Black, Board Secretary. Jeff Friedhoffer, Vice Chair; was absent. Also present were Carl McKinney, Covenant Advisor; Deb Jung, County Council District 4 candidate; Ned Howe, Mackenzie Kisiel, Sang Oh, Enterprise Homes; Linda Leslie, WLHS PTSA; and resident Carrie Shanks.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- Ms. Torres made a motion, seconded by Ms. Caplan, to approve the agenda for February 5, 2018. All in favor.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Ms. Torres made a motion, seconded by Ms. Caplan, to approve the amended minutes of January 22, 2018. All in favor.
SPECIAL PRESENTATION: Enterprise Homes
- Ned Howe, of Enterprise Homes, provided an update on the status of the Community Homes project. Enterprise recently acquired the 5 Community Homes properties, two of which are in Wilde Lake (Roslyn Rise and Rideout Heath). The goal is to do a systematic teardown and replacement of the current property, including adding additional units to allow for a mixed income community. At a community meeting, concerns from residents included increased density, the impact on schools and increased traffic. No date has been set yet for a Planning Board hearing. There is a concern about the impact on the project by revisions to the APFO..
- Deb Jung introduced herself as a candidate for District 4 County Council.
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Request for Donation: WLHS PTSA After Prom
- Mr. Cooper made a motion, seconded by Ms. Caplan, to donate $500 to the WLHS After Prom event. All in favor.
- Mr. McKinney reported that Ms. Glass had withdrawn her application to be a member of the RAC. There are currently 4 members on the Committee.
ARC Resolution: 10534 Jason Lane and 10547 Jason Lane
- Ms. Caplan made a motion, seconded by Ms. Torres, to remove the flagand restore access to facilities at 10534 Jason Lane. All in favor.
- Ms. Caplan made a motion, seconded by Mr. Cooper, to remove the flag and restore access to CA facilities at 10547 Jason Lane. All in favor.
Letter of Support: Community Homes Preliminary Development Plan Amendment
- Ms. Torres made a motion, seconded by Ms. Caplan, to send a letter of support for the Community Homes Preliminary Development Plan Amendment to the Planning Board. All in favor.
Letter of Support: Howard County Watershed Stewards Academy
- Ms. Torres made a motion, seconded by Mr. Cooper, to send a letter of support for funding for the Howard County Watershed Stewards Academy to the County Executive. All in favor.
Discussion: CA Watershed Advisory Committee
- Ms. Caplan proposed to expand the charter of the Watershed Advisory Committee (WAC) to include open space and other environmental issues. Another group wants to form a new advisory committee to address climate change concerns, focusing on energy efficiency and reducing the carbon footprint. Ms. Caplan feels that if the charter of the WAC is expanded, then subcommittees could be formed to address the concerns of this other group as well as other environmental issues.
- Ms. Torres made a motion, seconded by Mr. Cooper, to support one environmental advisory committee to encompass all aspects of the environment, including climate change. All in favor.
Discussion: Proposed Health and Wellness Committee
- Ms. Torres proposed the formation of a Health and Wellness Committee on the Board to promote healthy activities for the community and provide health information. She will work on a mission statement.
Columbia Council Representative
- Ms. McCord informed the Board of her concerns about the proposed development of condos at the downtown lakefront to replace the American Cities building.
AC Liaison- There were no applications since the last meeting.
- Education: Mr. Friedhoffer is still working with the Robotics Club.
- Wilde Lake CARES – Ms. Caplan is working on a process for the replacement of street trees to present to the county.
Manager- A written report was submitted
- Ms. Shulder is working with HR Strategies to make changes in the employment handbook to comply with the new Maryland Working Healthy Families Act.
Chair – Mr. McAliley reported that there was a meeting regarding the possible location of a bikeshare site in the Wilde Lake Village Center.
- Mr. Cooper made a motion, seconded by Ms. Torres, to adjourn the meeting at 8:35pm. All in favor.