CALL TO ORDER
A virtual meeting of the Wilde Lake Village Board was called to order via Zoom by Kevin McAliley, Chair,on October 5, 2020 at 6:30pm. Members present were Kevin McAliley, Chair; Laura Torres, Vice Chair, Steven Campbell, Bess Caplan, Jeff Friedhoffer, Nancy McCord, Columbia Council Rep; Kristin Shulder, Village Manager, and Carole Black, Board Secretary. Also present were Carl McKinney, Covenant Advisor; and Bella Nem.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Ms. Torres recommended moving the Columbia Council Rep report and items # 6 and #7 after Resident Speakout.
- Ms. Torres made a motion, seconded by Ms Caplan, to approve the amended agenda for October 5, 2020. All in favor.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Ms. Torres made a motion, seconded by Mr. Campbell, to approve the minutes of September 8, 2020. All in favor.
Special Guest: Bella Nem, Wilde Lake Mural Project
Ms Nem, who graduated from Wilde Lake High School, proposed installing a mural in the courtyard outside Slayton House. Ms. Nem has painted other murals in the community. Ms. Caplan suggested painting the mural on the concrete wall below the Family Life Center building. Ms. Torres suggested partnering with the Wilde Lake schools to install the mural. Since this is CA property, the request would have to be approved by them. Ms. Shulder will contact Dennis Mattey, Director of CA Open Space to find out how to proceed.
Columbia Council Rep Report
In regard to Item #6 (Tot Lot Maintenance), Ms. McCord will consult with CA about the proposal to remove some tot lots and removing the equipment.
In regard to Item #7 (Stormwater management issue on Stoneboat Row), Susan Tucker (WL WAC representative) noted that the storm drains were inadequate for heavy rains. The County owns one of the storm drains and CA is looking into their responsibility. They are waiting to hear back from John McCoy, CA Watershed Manager. Ms. Caplan will continue to monitor this issue.
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Revisions to Non-residential Application Review Procedures
Mr. McKinney recommended not to completely eliminate the AAP ( Architectural Advisory Committee). Mr. McKinney provided a revised procedure, incorporating some of the changes discussed at the September 8 Village Board meeting about membership to the AAP.
- Ms. Torres made a motion, seconded by Ms. Caplan, to approve the revisions to the Non-residential Application Review Procedures. All in favor.
Revisions to RAC Procedures
- Mr. Friedhoffer made a motion, seconded by Ms. Torres, to approve the proposal to have the RAC review non-residential applications with the assistance of architectural advisors. All in favor.
Appointment of RAC Advisors
- Mr. Friedhoffer made a motion, seconded by Ms. Torres, to appoint Ruth Landsman and Seth Harry as architectural advisors. All in favor.
FY 2020 Draft Audited Financial Statement
- Mr. Campbell made a motion, seconded by Ms. Torres, to approve the FY2020 Draft Audited Financial Statement. All in favor.
FY2021 First Quarter Financial Report
- Ms. Caplan made a motion, seconded by Ms. Torres, to accept the FY2021 First Quarter Financial Report. All in favor.
Discussion: Streets for All in Howard County
Mr. McAliley will participate in the audit, done virtually, on October 21 at 7pm.
Wilde Lake CARES: Ms. Caplan reported that Meg Boyd, of the Howard County Conservancy, notified Running Brook Elementary School that they are receiving a grant to allow students to participate for free in programs through the Conservancy. They would like to partner with Wilde Lake to have an outdoor program on the Village Green, either on October 25 or November 1 for a limited number of Running Brook students. John McCoy, Stormwater
Education: Mr. Friedhoffer met with Marcy Leonard, Principal of WLHS, and offered to help advertise school programs through the newsletter and social media.
Health and Wellness: Ms. Torres continues to send out tips through the newsletter.
Neighborhood Reps: Mr. Campbell reported the Luminaria event will occur on October 6, National Night Out, from 6-9pm
AC Liaison: The RAC continues to meet via Zoom. There were 14 applications in September.
Manager: Written Report
Chair: No additional report
- Mr. Friedhoffer made a motion, seconded by Ms.Caplan,to adjourn the meeting at 8:33pm. All in favor.